Sunday, September 4, 2011

Dulce De Leche Lava Cake Recipe

Dulce De Leche Lava Cake
If you love dulce de leche and lava cake I am sure you will love dulce de leche lava cake. And if you don’t love either of them then I feel sorry for you!

Lava cakes are generally chocolate based but for this lava cake I wanted dulce de leche to be the shining star, to get full attention without any interference from chocolate. So chocolate was completely left out of the party. Dulce de leche on its own did amazingly well. This lava cake is delicious, just the way it should be, and it behaved appropriately too As I fondled its sides with my spoon the ‘volcano erupted’, spewing out gooey liquid gold.
Dulce De Leche Lava Cake - before the 'volcano erupted'
At this point I was reminded how challenging food photography is, even though I am certainly not a professional food photographer. It may seem easy and fun to point your camera and click but when there is a luscious dessert sitting lonely and waiting for attention it is extremely challenging to pick up the camera instead of the spoon, or keep your fingers off. And this is what happened when I photographed the dulce de leche lava cake. I had never tried dulce de leche lava cake, actually I have never heard of it either, I was absolutely dying to taste it. It was like torture, taking photos when I could smell and almost taste the cake. However as I am writing this the plate has already been licked clean. There is not even a trace left.
Since this is an egg free version the amount of flour and milk used is higher than in regular lava cake. As a result there is a very slight ‘floury’ taste. It was almost negligible and I did not mind but if you are fussy you can always include eggs in the recipe and reduce the milk and flour content. If you use eggs the lava cake will be even more richer and luscious. I didn’t try the version with eggs so unfortunately I cannot give the amounts. You will have to experiment.

You may need more or less flour than suggested in the recipe. The amount of flour depends on the consistency of the dulce de leche. I’ve made dulce de leche many times and the consistency differs. If the consistency is thicker you will need less flour, and vice versa. Just add enough flour until the dough has the same consistency as thick cream.

Ingredients
½ cup butter (diced, room temperature)
200ml milk
½ cup sugar
1 cup flour, sifted (you may need more or less)
2 teaspoons baking powder
Vanilla extract (optional) 

Directions
1. In a bowl mix flour, baking powder
2. In another bowl mix dulce de leche, butter, milk, sugar and vanilla extract
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix
4. Pour the batter into well greased ramekins
5. Bake at 180 degrees until the outer part of the cake is set and the middle is still slightly wobbly. It would take about 10 - 12 minutes
Dulce De Leche Lava Cake


5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm....printing to try!!! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks so luscious! Mmmhhh...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very yummy - I have never made anything like this before...the tricky bit for me would be in making the sauce and getting it right!

    I will have to give this a go...

    I love the simplicity of your dishes and they look so appetising and inviting too....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...