|Asian Inspired Pulled Pork|
This is my second time pulling pork. The first recipe I tried was Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions. That was great, so is this Asian inspired recipe.
The recipe suggests using fish sauce. It may sound unusual but it worked. There was no fishy flavour or aroma. My only regret is not pulling more pork.
Adopted from WhiteOnRiceCouple.com
About 4-5 pound pork butt or pork shoulder
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
5-6 medium cloves garlic, minced
1- 15 oz. can diced or crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
¼ cup fish sauce (or substitute with soy sauce)
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
½ dried smoked chipotle chili (or substitute with teaspoon black pepper)
1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C / 325°F
2. Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions have softened.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
4. Brown the pork in a large frying pan (optional).
5. Put the pork in a baking dish that is just large enough to hold it.
6. Pour the sauce over the pork, cover and bake for about 3½-4 hours, or until the pork is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
7. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Add the sauce and mix.